Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Child Doesn't Want to go to Church-Part 2

Intentional mentoring.
This one is a challenge. I can't expect my child to go any farther than I have lead them. Granted, there may come a time when their heart for God and worship exceeds ours, but until that happens parents must do things deliberately, thoughtfully and craftily. Our goal is to guide their souls without breaking their spirit. Ask yourself: "Am I guilty of the same offense I am trying to build in my children?" Or, "Am I persistent in my worship and Bible study attendance, no matter what?"

John 1:46 (HCSB)46 "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Nathanael asked him. "Come and see," Philip answered.

Come and see. Not Go and see. Each child needs a persistent guide if they are to ever discover the usefulness of regular worship and Bible study.This is not a self-guided tour. So, how's our habit of worship and study going? Barna research reveals that at the age of 18, 78% of students abandon their faith upbringing. To me that says there may be a 78% inconsistency issue in our homes. Not always, but something is at work.

Take time to talk about worship, Bible study and ministry throughout the week. We shouldn't expect to "spring" church on our students on Saturday night or Sunday and expect to gather a crowd. Do a little each day of the week. Water your garden with a garden hose , not a fire hose!

No comments:

Post a Comment