Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Landmark 6- Leaving Home

When I returned from Texas A & M University, my father asked me to come help him at work for about 6 months. His office manager had some health issues and he needed time to find another one. I knew the industry and said OK. Six months turned in to one year and then 18 years. I thought that during that time I would just move back home and back into my room. It was as if I had only been gone for 4 years. My Dad said, "NO!" He and Mom had gotten used to the empty nest and I had to find my own place. They had prepared for me to leave home following high school graduation.

Someone said that humans are the only species that let their young return home. It is a landmark when our students prepare to graduate, leave home and start their own lives, following their own values. Whether it is public, private or home school, our students graduate and make this next landmark.

When our oldest graduated from homeschooling, we gathered all those important people in his life and had a celebration. We gave him a diploma, a class ring and he went to work. He stayed for a while until me found a place to live and has never looked back.

When our youngest graduated from homeschooling, we had his set of influential people over for a celebration. We gathered under the magnolia tree in our yard which bore yearly carvings of dates as the he climbed that tree and made his mark growing up. Then he was off to college.

Before they left, we spoke blessing into their lives. They had life skills, money sense, a love for God's Word and a strong support group.

Jan & I hoped we had given enough of the right stuff to each so they could be responsible on their own. Jan had poured scripture into their hearts and taught them where to find answers in God's Word. In preparing them to leave home, we took them with us rather than sending them alone on mission trips, retreats and special events. We wanted them to know we were their peer group. Sure, they had friends, but our design was to have them trust in God who was with them at all times, especially when they left home.


Jeremiah 29:11 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

No one raises perfect children. That's why we pray for them at all times. That never stops no matter where they are or how old they get.

No comments:

Post a Comment